If you’re just getting into nail art or you’re ready to upgrade your current nail art set-up, we’ve got some great tips on what makes the perfect nail kit for beginners.
From cuticle pushers to UV and LED lamps, follow our definitive list of gel nail accessories and essentials to make your nails the envy of all your friends.
Table of Contents
Before investing in any fancy nail tools or polishes, it’s important to get some basic items that will form the foundation of your manicure kit. These include:
- Nail clippers and a file: You’ll need these for shaping and maintaining the length of your natural nails.
- Cuticle pusher: This tool helps to gently push back your cuticles, creating a clean and smooth surface for your nail polish.
- Cuticle trimmer: Use this to carefully remove any excess or overgrown cuticles that can get in the way of a flawless manicure.
These basics are essential for any pro or beginner nail art kit, so make sure you have these before moving on to the more advanced tools.
The Must-Have Tools
Once you have the basics covered, it’s time to start building your nail art kit with some essential tools. These include:
- Nail polish remover: A must-have for correcting any mistakes or removing old polish before starting a new manicure.
- Base and top coat: These products act as the foundation and finishing touch for your nail colour, providing protection and longevity to your manicure.
- Dotting tool: This double-ended tool is perfect for creating dots and small details in your nail art designs.
- Striping brush: Use this thin, long brush to create precise lines and intricate designs on your nails.
- Clean-up brush: A small, angled brush is great for cleaning up any polish that may have gotten outside the edges of your nails during application.
These must-have tools will help you achieve a professional-looking manicure and make your nail art designs stand out.
To take your nail art game to the next level, consider investing in these game-changing items:
- UV or LED lamp: If you want to achieve a long-lasting gel manicure at home, a UV or LED lamp is essential. These lamps cure your gel polish, making it chip-resistant and shiny for up to two weeks.
- Gel polish: While regular nail polish can be used for nail art, gel polish provides a more professional and long-lasting finish. Plus, it’s great for creating intricate designs as it doesn’t dry until cured under a UV or LED lamp.
- Nail art brushes: These come in various shapes and sizes and are perfect for creating detailed nail art designs such as flowers, stars, or even tiny words.
- Rhinestones and studs: Adding bling to your manicure is made easy with these tiny gems and studs. They come in different colours, shapes, and sizes, making it fun to experiment with different designs.
- Nail decals: These are pre-made designs that can be easily applied to your nails for a quick and effortless nail art look.
Most pro nail techs use tools like these to achieve stunning nail art designs, so it’s worth investing in them if you want to take your skills to the next level.
Don’t forget to also invest in a good quality top coat and nail polish remover. A good top coat will not only protect your manicure but also add shine and prevent chipping. A strong acetone-based nail polish remover will make removing gel polish, or stubborn glitter polishes much easier.
Now You Know All The Essentials, Get Decorating!
Nail gel starter kits are perfect if you don’t want to head to the salon to get your nails done. Buying a complete kit or building up your tools over time will help you save money and give you the freedom to experiment with different designs and styles. With these essential nail art tools, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a pro in no time!
What Are The Essentials I Need To Do Nail Art?
The basic essentials you need for nail art are nail clippers, a file, a cuticle pusher, and a trimmer. These tools will help you shape your natural nails and create a clean surface for polish application.
What Is The Difference Between UV And LED Lamps?
UV lamps emit broad-spectrum light, while LED lamps produce narrow-band light. This means that LED lamps cure gel polish much quicker than UV lamps, and they also don’t emit as much heat. Both are great options for achieving a long-lasting gel manicure at home.
What’s The Difference Between an Acrylic Nail Kit & a Gel Nail Kit?
An acrylic nail kit uses a liquid and powder system to create artificial nails, while a gel nail kit uses a gel product that is cured under a UV or LED lamp. Gel nails tend to have a more natural look and feel than acrylics, making them great for those wanting an at-home manicure that looks like it was done in the salon.
Can I Use Regular Nail Polish For My Nail Art Designs?
Yes, you can use regular nail polish for your nail art designs. However, gel polish provides a more professional and long-lasting finish, making it a popular choice for beginners and pros alike. So, while it’s not necessary, investing in some gel polishes may take your nail art game to the next level.