Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have become popular modes of transportation for many people due to their convenience and affordability. However, accidents can happen, and when they do, passengers, drivers, and pedestrians can suffer injuries. In such cases, you can seek compensation for ridesharing accident injuries. However, this can be a daunting task, especially when trying to determine who is liable for the damages. In this article, we will discuss the various third-party liabilities that can be held responsible in a ridesharing accident, including the rideshare company, the driver, and other negligent parties.
In a ridesharing accident, there are several third-party liabilities that can be held responsible for the damages and injuries suffered by the victims. These parties may include:
- Rideshare company: The rideshare company can be held liable for the accident if the accident occurred due to the company’s negligence, such as hiring an unqualified driver, failing to properly maintain its vehicles, or neglecting to enforce safety standards.
- Rideshare driver: The rideshare driver can be held liable for the accident if they were driving recklessly, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or violating traffic laws at the time of the accident.
- Other drivers: If the accident was caused by another driver on the road, such as a negligent or distracted driver, they could also be held responsible for the damages and injuries suffered by the victims.
- Vehicle manufacturers: In some cases, the accident may have been caused by a defect in the rideshare vehicle, such as faulty brakes or a malfunctioning airbag. In such cases, the manufacturer of the vehicle can be held liable for the damages.
- Government agencies: If the accident occurred due to poor road conditions or inadequate road signage, the government agency responsible for maintaining the roads could be held liable.
In order to determine who is liable for a ridesharing accident, it is important to thoroughly investigate the accident and consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help identify all the potentially liable parties and pursue compensation for the victims.
What to Do After a Rideshare Car Accident
If you’ve been involved in a rideshare car accident, it’s important to take the following steps to ensure that you have a good case:
- Seek medical attention: The first thing you should do is seek medical attention for any injuries sustained in the accident. Even if you feel fine, it’s still a good idea to get checked out by a healthcare professional.
- Contact the police: Call the police and have them come to the scene of the accident. Ask for a copy of the police report, which will contain important details about the accident.
- Document the accident: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to vehicles and any injuries. Write down any details about the accident, including the time, date, and location, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Contact the rideshare company: Report the accident to the rideshare company as soon as possible. They may have specific procedures you need to follow, and they may be able to provide you with important information.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: Consider hiring a personal injury attorney who has experience dealing with rideshare car accident cases. They can help you understand your legal options and navigate the claims process.
- Keep records: Keep a record of all medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to the accident. This information will be important when seeking compensation for your damages.
- Avoid speaking with insurance companies: Avoid speaking with insurance companies or signing any documents without consulting with your attorney first.