The kitchen and the bathroom; are there ever more important rooms in any home? Consider this: when we wake up, our first instinct is to go to the bathroom. After that, it’s time to head to the kitchen for that essential cup of coffee. Then, it’s time to prepare breakfast, pack lunch, and fill up your water bottle.
These two rooms might not be the most formal or luxurious areas in the home. However, they do need to be properly functional for a stable, comfortable life. You can have the most lavish bedroom, but is it possible to relax when your bathroom fixtures aren’t working?
If you’re living in a large city like Chicago, it’s logical to be even more conscious of having trendy bathrooms and kitchen fixtures. It’s important to note that the median list price in Chicago is $297,500, so comparing the list price of different home features can help you determine which upgrades will help you sell for more. In March 2023, it was predicted that Chicago homes with large kitchens would have a much higher median list price, around $349,900.
Now, let’s go over picking the right fixtures for these essential rooms:
Table of Contents
1. Consult Professional Plumbing Services
Before picking any fixture, inspect the plumbing needs in your bathroom and kitchen. Since plumbing is a serious business, you don’t want to leave any room for mistakes. Instead of going down the DIY route, think about getting a consultation from the residential plumbing services nearby Chicago.
When you have experienced professionals on your side, their guidance is invaluable for deciding on any home project. They give you insights on the latest trends, help you avoid any potential damage during projects, and give helpful suggestions for the room in question.
2. Consider Your Needs
If a bathroom or kitchen remodel is in the works, there must be some specific goals in mind. Since these rooms have to be functional above all, a remodel is rarely just for the sake of aesthetics. It’s best if you consider the requirements of your routine and your family. Once you have these down, see which fixtures are necessary to make things more convenient. Here are some examples of what to consider:
- If you have a family with young kids, change the kitchen and bathroom fixtures. The new models should be fairly easy for small hands to turn on and off. Ideally, the material should be easy to clean and not show fingerprints too easily
- Bathing small kids will be easier with an alcove tub design.
- If elderly relatives are living with you, consider walk-in showers for seniors and grab bars in required areas.
- If you’re a power couple that has to get ready at the same time, consider installing a double sink. This way, two people can brush their teeth and perform their skincare without having to wait around
- For families who cook a lot, a pot filler or large sink might be necessary
- If you don’t have a dishwasher and don’t want to buy one, a shower-like faucet by the sink will be helpful for quickly washing dishes
3. Consider Your Style and Preferences
The fixtures in your kitchen and bathroom should also follow your unique preferences and style. Consider the aesthetics and decor of the rest of the home while selecting new fixtures. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Take note of the current style of your home and try to match it.If you’re thinking about making some changes, keep the bathroom and kitchen fixtures as neutral as possible.
- If your current style is leaning towards traditional, opt for some ornate, cross-handle faucets or extra detailing in the shower head.
- For more contemporary designs, look at transitional styles with simple curves, single-handled levers, and straight lines. Sinks and bathtubs can also come in many designs and aesthetic forms, so see which one goes best with your home.
- Check the current color scheme in your home. Will the new fixtures fit within it? You don’t have to look for something that exactly matches. The light fixtures and cabinet hardware might be different designs, with the faucet having its distinct look. What matters is that the designs and styles should be complementary. For instance, black lighting fixtures will go well with metallic faucets and sinks.
4. Consider Bathroom Must-Haves
With such a wide variety of bathroom fixtures, it can be hard to decide on one kind. Here are the must-haves in a bathroom that you might consider during a remodel:
- Bathroom sinks: These might come in under-mount models made of enameled cast iron or vitreous china. Choose from the usual shapes of oval, rectangular, or circular.
- Consider a vessel sink in a countertop for a spa-style effect. Since these will be a statement addition, consider an asymmetrical shape in wood or glass.
- Faucets: Choose faucet sizes according to the sink. Make sure they’re positioned so that the water comes at just the right angle.
- Tubs: Measure your space, choose a model that fits, and choose materials according to your taste and décor.The most common options are porcelain or acrylic (with stone being a unique choice).
- Toilets: Consider unique options like wall-mounted toilets, remote-controlled models, heated seats, lights, etc.
5. Consider the Kitchen Must-Haves
Below are some kitchen essentials for your remodel:
- Sink: Choose a model that provides easy cleanup and washing and is durable enough for your usage level. Consider features like double vowels, apron front, etc.
- Faucets: These should easily deliver both hot and cold water for kitchen use. Various sizes, finishes, and styles available in the market these days can complement your kitchen design. Satin or brushed finishes are less likely to show water spots or fingerprints. Matte black and gold are trendy options that can also enhance the look of the room. Consider extra features such as motion sensor controls, pull-down spray faucets, or extra faucets for providing filtered or carbonated water as required.
- Consider one sink on the perimeter kitchen counter and another on the kitchen island. These features will allow more than one cook to make full use of the kitchen at the same time.
The kitchen and bathroom are essential parts of any home. Both play a major role in our health, hygiene, and overall well-being. With so much at stake, it’s only natural that we want these two rooms to be well-maintained and aesthetically pleasing. If you’re planning a bathroom or kitchen renovation, take your time and do your homework carefully. Also, visit a showroom that displays modern kitchens and bathrooms. That way, you can get an idea of the most suitable fixtures for these rooms.